Welcome to the
Probiotic Therapy Research Centre
At the PTRC, we specialise in the treatment of gastrointestinal conditions using Faecal Microbiota Transplantation (FMT).
PTRC was established by Prof Thomas Borody, gastroenterologist and director of the Centre for Digestive Diseases (CDD), Five Dock. Prof Borody originally conceived the idea for creating such a centre in the year 2000. He wanted to provide new alternative treatments for patients who suffer from gastrointestinal problems using faecal microbiota transplantation (FMT).
1. Provide a clinical focus on disorders whose aetiology may be related to bowel flora.
2. Carry out clinical trials and collect data on use of various probiotics, predominantly in the treatment of GI disorders.
3. Diagnose and treat disorders characterised by abnormal bowel flora.
4. Treat various GI disorders by making available probiotic products ranging from single probiotics, through to mixed products and ultimately to the provision of Faecal Microbiota Transplantation.
5. To develop novel probiotics for various disease states and to trial these in clinical practice.